The name 'Sturminster' means 'large church on the river Stour' and, as such, Sturminster Marshall
is a village and civil parish, situated on the River Stour between Blandford Forum and Poole, four
miles west of Wimborne.
The word 'Marshall' was added when the village was gifted to William Marshall, Prince Regent of England
and a principal signatory of the Magna Carta.
Sturminster Marshall is a large village with a pub, two shops including a chemist and a post office, a 1st school and several relics of past village life including the village stocks and maypole, the latter of which is still in use today.
Just outside of the village is a medieval, eight-arched bridge which crosses the River Stour at White Mill. The bridge is believed to be the oldest in Dorset, dating from 1170. White Mill (now owned by the National Trust) has been restored and is open to the public on selected days.
In the 1950s Bailey Gate in Sturminster Marshall was home to the largest cheese-making factory in the world; it received 52,000 gallons of milk daily and turned it into cheddar cheese. It is now home to a small industrial estate.
The church community
We have a service at St Mary’s nearly every Sunday at 9.15am. Usually this is Holy Communion but on the third Sunday in the month we have a service of the word with specific focus on including children and families.
We have a weekly celebration of Holy Communion at 9am each Wednesday, which is a beautifully quiet and contemplative service, and we also have a strong musical tradition, with a choir and Sung Eucharist on the first Sunday of the month.
Our church is open every day, please do come in and enjoy the stillness and peace of St Mary’s.
If you would like to help maintain this village church for future generations, click the link below.
The Parish Code is 340634317